Food allergy iPhone app
Food allergies are now, and will for the foreseeable future be, a constant in our schools. Since they pop up multiple times each year, we’ll blog about them multiple times too. In April, we blogged about food allergy awareness, and recently, we found an app that may prove helpful for those with allergies.
Fooducate released their Allergy Talk app this past May, and it promises a wealth of features to help users identify products in store that fit their dietary restrictions, and help them steer clear of those that do not. I do not have food allergies and cannot endorse the product, nor can Magnus; however, I played around with it, and used Fooducate’s general application as well, and I can say I had fun scanning the barcode of everything in the office, my home, and the grocery store.
You too can use your phone to scan the barcode of most products and almost immediately view the dietary information important to you. I say most because there are some products that go unrecognized – toilet paper, Kleenex, and a new lamp, for example. Perhaps I had too much fun scanning. However, for those with food allergies, Allergy Talk may make grocery shopping a little easier, and just maybe, a little more fun.
Allergies covered: gluten, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, egg, milk, and soy
- Automatically scan a product barcode, search for products, or browse by categories
- See if a product contains an allergen you are sensitive to
- Discover potential allergens disguised as mystery ingredients
- Discuss the product and its allergen with the community
- Snap pics of warning labels to share with the community
- One button click to call the manufacturer for more information
- See additional product highlights (both good & bad)
- Select allergen free, healthy alternatives
** This is not an endorsement. Magnus Health is not a substitute for advice and service provided by qualified and licensed medical professionals. Information found herein is available as part of a general educational service. **