02 Apr Staying social while social distancing during COVID-19
Social distancing means that you should not, at any time, be closer than 6 feet to any person who is not from your household. Currently, social distancing is crucial and something that everyone should be practicing to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. However, we must understand the difference between physical distancing and social distancing, and realize there are still ways to socially interact while maintaining physical distance. In a time of physical isolation, it is more important than ever to stay in touch with your loved ones!
Here are some great ways to be social while social distancing:
- Schedule Virtual Social Hours – Schedule social hours with your friends and family at least once a week (the more the better)! Grab a cup of coffee or a drink of choice and just chat with your loved ones while you take a sip of your tasty drink. You will realize how relaxing it can turn out to be and you will look forward to these social hours during the week. There are a variety of ways to video chat via your desktop or phone. You could use tools generally used for business, such as GoToMeeting and Zoom, or even the popular social apps such as Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger, all available for Android and iOS users making it easy to video chat!
- Learn a Recipe – Video chat the best cook you know and have him/her teach you their favorite recipe. You can always call your grandma and ask her to share that delicious family recipe for a dish you’ve been wanting to learn how to make. You can even share your favorite recipes and the good news is that by virtually cooking together, dinner will be ready for both of you. This is a fun way to connect with loved ones while staying active and learning something new!
- Host a Game Night – There are a variety of games you and your friends can play online like Monopoly, Clue, and Scrabble, amongst many other classical board games that are available for Android and iOS users. The New York Times website and the Washington Post are offering online games such as Crossword puzzles and Sudokus that you can play by yourself or with friends. Games like these make it so easy for everyone to stay connected and entertained!
- Watch Movies With Friends – Social distancing should not stop you and your friends from enjoying a movie night. Thanks to Netflix Party, you and your friends can watch a synchronized video playback with a group chat in session from the comfort of your home. Doing so is easy, everyone will simply have to download the Netflix party chrome extension and add it to their Chrome browser.
- Call a Friend And Reconnect – Whether it be a childhood friend, recent friend, college roommate, or family member, simply call them and connect! We get so busy in our day to day life that sometimes we don’t get the chance to chat with those people we have special memories with. But, now is the perfect time to get in touch with these friends and reminisce about the good times! You will not only brighten up their day, but you will also feel better as it is proven that nostalgic feelings of cherished memories with loved ones counteract feelings of anxiety and loneliness. Since in-person visits are currently not possible, the family members will cherish the opportunity to see or even just to hear the laughter of the little ones.
Please check out the collection of resources that Magnus Health has collected from our client schools to offer students and staff more ways to cope with challenges that stem from the coronavirus pandemic. Stay social while socially distancing! We wish you and your loved ones good health.